Check it Out!
What I'm Learning
Hi, I'm Chelsea! I’m on a mission to help you find joy and goodness in every day.
On this blog we talk about the big things (like chasing dreams) and the small things (like what books we're reading) because happiness comes in all sizes.
1. She gives you confidence to not care what other people say about you–and to maybe even tell them you don’t care. People were making fun of her for being a bad dancer. So what does she do? Releases a music video of herself dancing. Boom. She knows how to laugh at herself, and it’s awesome.
2. She gives you creative ways to say mean things about your exes, and to sound really cool while doing it.
“People like you always want back the love they pushed aside, but people like me are gone forever when you say goodbye.”
3. She knows not all break-ups are bitter.
“I wish we could go back and remember what we were fighting for and I wish you knew that I miss you too much to be mad anymore.”
“How you kissed me when I was in the middle of saying something, there’s not a day I don’t miss those rude interruptions.”
4. Need to feel nostalgic? She’s got you covered.
“Wasn’t it easier in your lunchbox days? Always a bigger bed to crawl into. Wasn’t it beautiful when you believed in everything and everybody believed in you?”
“Take pictures in your mind of your childhood room. Memorize what it sounded like when your dad gets home. Remember the footsteps, remember the words said, and all your little brother’s favorite songs.”
5. No matter who you are, you can relate to her songs. Sure, you may not be 22, but you know you’ve wanted to dress up like a hipster. And even if you’re going to lie and say you haven’t, you’ve most definitely wanted to eat breakfast at midnight.
6. She owns up to making mistakes that we’ve all made, usually for the same reasons.
“I’d be smart to walk away, but you’re quicksand.”
“My mind forgets to remind me that you’re a bad idea.”
“I thought, “Heaven help me now, nothing lasts forever, but this is gonna take me down. He’s so tall and handsome…”
7. Sometimes she can describe what happened in your relationship better than you can.
“This is looking like a contest of who can act like they care less.”
“You held your pride like you should have held me.”
8. Exes aren’t the only thing she covers–she also gives you song lyrics to blare about the mean girls in your life.
“Soon she’s gonna find stealing other people’s toys on the playground won’t make you many friends. She should keep in mind there is nothing I do better than revenge.”
“It’s so sad to think about the good times, you and I…So take a look at what you’ve done, ’cause baby now we got bad blood.”
9. Homegirl can write a heart-wrenching break-up song.
“After plaid shirt days and nights when you made me your own, now you mail back my things and I walk home alone. But you keep my old scarf from that very first week, ’cause it reminds you of innocence and it smells like me. You can’t get rid of it, ’cause you remember it all too well.” I MEAN, HELLO.
10. But you don’t need to linger on those break-up songs, because she’s got plenty of songs to make you feel super confident.
“So it’s gonna be forever, or it’s gonna go down in flames. You can tell me when it’s over if the high was worth the pain. Got a long list of ex lovers, they’ll tell you I’m insane. ‘Cause you know I love the players, and you love the game.”
“But you’ll come back each time you leave, ’cause darling, I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream.”
11. She can WRITE. Whether you like her music or not, there’s no denying she’s a freakishly talented lyricist.
12. Sometimes, she just nails how you’re feeling.
13. She changes. In a world where people are quick to judge you when you make changes in your life, or to call you a copycat or ask why you’re so different now, it’s nice to see someone in the spotlight change so much and own up to it.
Sign up with your email for a weekly pep talk, just for you. Delivered to your inbox Sunday night to combat the Sunday scaries!