One Big Thing I’ve Learned This Year: Getting the Most out of Life.

1. Blake's Everyday Adventures

July 15th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I really need to work on being more brave and adventurous, especially when it comes to putting myself out there to make new friends. I also want to be more motivated to work out. I used to go 5-6 times a week, but after adopting Bear, I felt bad leaving him at home even longer. I need to stop making excuses though and get my butt back in the gym!

2. Girl Brooks

July 15th, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I don't set "resolutions" anymore because I found I never took them seriously. I did want to become more healthy so I challenged myself to run at least 7 miles a week, some weeks I surpass that and others I barely meet. I've found myself looking forward to my runs now, something I never thought would happen.

3. Kristen

July 15th, 2014 at 1:03 pm

this is such a great post. i definitely set goals and sometimes i meet them, and sometimes i don't. i like the idea of setting unattainable goals, like to be the best person i can – well, i'll be working on that till the day i die! lol. right now i'm just focusing on being healthy and fit, because i am seriously lacking in that department. i wouldn't even know where to begin to be brave and adventurous though šŸ™‚

4. Carly Blogs Here

July 15th, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I seriously love this idea! I'm not a big list maker– or it's not something that has ever been very productive for me in my personal life, so I can definitely see how writing out more comprehension. This is something I am going to give a lot of thought to today!

July 15th, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I love this idea. I tried to create a little mantra for myself about how I want to live my life for a similar reason. You can never just check off "be kind" or "take risks" or "live for adventure". There are times I need my lists, I need little goals to motivate me but overall I think more fulfillment comes from a model lifestyle like you're saying.

6. Kenzie Smith

July 15th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I love this idea! I can easily see how much better it would be to focus on lessons and experiences rather than easy-to-cross-off goals. I am going to have to think about this šŸ™‚

7. Kimmi

July 15th, 2014 at 3:27 pm

This is beautiful and something I am going to have to really try! Wonderful!

8. Cece

July 15th, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Love it!!! Some things are always a work in progress and that's okay because they are big enough that they always should be.

9. Erica Thompson

July 15th, 2014 at 9:15 pm

What a healthy way to look at goals! Love it!

So Much Sunshine

July 16th, 2014 at 1:08 am

I love this post! It's a great idea to also record how you want to feel about things in your life, just not what you want to do. I don't think I really sat down and thought, "I want this, this and this and I'm tired of feeling this, this and this" but those thoughts were on my mind when I accepted my new job last month.

11. Cassie

July 16th, 2014 at 3:47 am

Your ending made me think of something my husband said the other day (we were talking about planting a tree) and after I agreed that we should, he said "They say the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. And the second best time is today."
    Great thoughts on how to live a life with few(er) regrets

12. Organized Chaos

July 16th, 2014 at 10:27 am

How awesome! I had a similar idea with my #Commitment2014 Instead of resolutions and goals I made a plan to be more committed this year in work, marriage, parenting….well everything! I feel the same as you…having those reminders has made me gain more in my 6 months than I normally would have in a year! Thanks for the inspiration!

13. Chelsea Phelps

July 16th, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Such a cool perspective. I love crossing things off the list, but I have never thought about setting goals that I would be trying to achieve throughout life. Love it!

14. Taylor Fuller

July 16th, 2014 at 6:48 pm

you have such an awesome perspective!! taking this attitude with me to italy.

xx

Taylor

15. Amy Lee Scott

July 16th, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Chels, what a great way to think about goal-setting–couching it in the kinds of things you want to learn and experience!

16. Anonymous

July 16th, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Great advice! I need to work on being more brave and hustling to make things happen. I have a print on my dresser that says "Be brave" and I don't act on that as much as I could. I made a list of 24 things to do befroe I turn 24 (in February, but I'm finding that although that's fun, I'm spending more time focusing on being brave and finding clarity. It's a good thing.

17. Anonymous

July 17th, 2014 at 12:57 am

This post is spot on! I always feel like I can't set goals for myself mid-year, as if there is some unwritten rule that I need to wait until Jan 1st comes back around. But, this isn't true at all. Goals can be set and accomplished mid-year, it all comes down to a little thought and motivation to push us through and help us along!

18. A Pinch Of Jasmine

July 17th, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I love this. You're right. At what point do you cross off being brave and taking risks from your list? I think it should be an ongoing goal. I'm hoping by the end of this year to be happy with where my life is heading and be able to look back at the year and feel proud of what I have accomplished. šŸ™‚

19. Always in a Southern State of Mind

July 23rd, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I love to write lists but I suck at fulfilling a list that is any thing other than grocery and errand related.

I just set out to do more of what I used to do and so far, this year – we've been crazy busy ever since J got back from deployment. We are always so busy doing God only knows what.